Saturday, January 17, 2009

Breaking News & Book Chat

No one can say it isn't bad out in our little world. Here is another example how bad it is getting. I have to say this has sadden me. I actually enjoyed this magazine. But, in a couple of months Simple Scrapbooks magazine will no longer be available. There are plans to put Simple Scrapbook features, in Creating Keepsakes. But really will that be the same? I don't think so. To be honest, lately Creating Keepsakes hasn't been really that appealing, except seeing work from Mou S. and Emily F. in there. Thank Goodness for that! This is truly just more sad news in the hobby world. Who's next?

As promise from my previous post, book chat. Sorry it was delayed, I was a bit under the weather, this past week. But as I was snugged in my bed, there was a book in my hand.
The first book I will chat about is the Confession of a Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella. This is not a new release, but I have just got around to reading it. The book is also being released as a movie this month, and what got me interested in reading the book. The book was a fun read, but I found this other book featured in the Shopaholic collection a much funnier one, it was called Shopaholic Ties the Knot. I really enjoyed this book, and found it very funny and a fast read. I can see this one made into a movie, and do hope they do make one. Finally, the next book I read will be Janet Evanovich's new release Plum Spooky. It's her in between book in the Stephanie Plum adventures. These books are usually pretty funny, but as soon as I finish this one. I must get back and finish reading Nora Roberts book 3 of the Blood Brother trilogy. I believe I am stalling, because I don't want that story to end yet. LOL

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

I was very saddened too when I heard the news about Simple Scrapbooks. I daresay I liked it better than CK, more to my style. It's definitely a sign of the times and I'm afraid you're right, probably more to come. Enjoyed both Shopaholic books too, they're fun light reads, perfect for a day sick in bed. Glad you're feeling better and I can't wait to hear about "Plum Spooky". Wonder why she didn't make it a Halloween release with that title?

Amy said...

Sorry you've been feeling icky..it's been going around...I really liked the last NR brother trilogy book...I haven't read the shopaholic books yet...and I keep meaning to...take care!

Mary Jo said...

Hmmmm...I thought I posted a comment to this but I guess it didn't work!

I love, love SS magazine and am really sorry to see it go :(

On the other hand, I LOVED the Shopaholic books but am pretty sure the movie just can't be as good. I just don't see the girl they picked for the lead role as right!

DawnW said...

Hope you are feeling better C-Don. Gotta get my hands on some books I guess!

Later

Rita said...

I was bummed out about Simple Scrapbooks too. I really enjoy that magazine. And I agree about CK -- it hasn't done much for me lately.

I loved the NR Blood Brothers trilogy. It was my first time reading Nora Roberts and it was a fun read -- I liked the characters a lot! I am getting ready to start her Garden Trilogy (Blue Dahlia, Black Rose, Red Lily) -- have you read that one?

joni said...

Sad news about SS for sure! One of my favs and it makes me wonder whos next! I so want to read the Shopaholic series, but am waiting for the audio version at my library...I'm hooked on listening to books! And I'm on the waiting list for Plum Spooky too....

On another note, we're moving to Michigan the end of May...ya know, once all that cold cold weather goes away! Chat soon!

Theresa said...

you know, I am so out of the loop with what is happening in the scrapbook world - I buy the UK mags now and then, and I still get Scrapbooks etc, but it certainly seems like the market can't sustain the good times. I have a little pile of books waiting for me right now - all ones I wouldn't normally choose, kind of a new year resolution to try something new.